May 10, 2010

Peeved: To make peevish or spiteful

Imagine that it is January 2010. Following my last blog entry, I was stuck with several hundred dollars in medical bills because of failed notification on UC Irvine's part about critical changes to our graduate student health care plan. Namely: Even though on a PPO, we can no longer see doctors outside of the Student Health Center (SHC) without first receiving a referral from the SHC.

In order to continue seeing my general practitioner (GP), I made an effort to get a referral from the SHC. I called them up and explained that I wanted to continue seeing my doctor, and that I simply needed a referral in order to do so. I also asked if I could do this over the phone. After much confusion and discussion, they decided that I needed to make an appointment with the SHC to see a doctor to get the referral. I acquiesced, and went to said appointment.

Keep in mind, the only reason I went was to get a referral to my GP. Nevertheless, the nurse took me back, performed a full basic exam, and then told me to wait in a room for the doctor. The doctor arrived, and when I explained the situation, he informed me that although he could submit a referral, it would not be approved because I was not being treated for anything that couldn't be treated within the SHC. I asked if he could submit the request anyway, and he reluctantly agreed.

I was a little peeved that upon leaving, I had to pay a $15 copay for the doctor exam that I didn't need. If I wasn't going to be able to get a referral, why didn't they just tell me that over the phone, and save me the trouble of coming in to the SHC and essentially wasting $15?

Anyway, the referral was somehow miraculously approved by the SHC (even though everyone involved told me it wouldn't be), but I never acted on it for fear that United Healthcare would not honor it.

As for the pending medical bills, you ask? Let's just say I am a fan of fortuitous caveats...

No comments:

Post a Comment