July 20, 2010

Down with the Minions

Basking in the glow of my short-lived victory after having gotten United Healthcare to pay for my most recent doctor visit, I received another large bill from the pathology lab where I had gotten my blood work done (I went there one day after having gone to the doctor, December 31st, 2009). However, knowing that I had won the previous battle based on the UC Irvine holiday caveat, I figured this would be no problem...

I called up United Healthcare and explained the situation, explaining that they had just paid my bill for the doctor visit based on said caveat. In addition, I now fell under an additional caveat, "when the Student Health Center is closed." I had gone to get my blood taken on New Year's Eve, which was a legitimate university holiday; the SHC was for sure not in operation. However, that didn't stop United Healthcare from denying my claim and making me exert myself in order to get them to pay the bills.

About 30 minutes later, the low level customer service representative refused to submit my petition, stating that I simply did not have the necessary referral from the SHC. Seriously? Yes, this is what happened. However, since I was on to their ways, I demanded that I speak to the management. Again, I explained the situation, and...all was magically taken care of. Moral of this story: You should only be talking to the management when calling health care customer service. I believe that the sole purpose of the lowest tier of minions is to frustrate you into submission. Well, they have met their match!

I had become fed up with my health care plan, and had recently been presented with a luxurious alternative. I had just moved in with my fiance, and could be covered under his employer's health insurance as a domestic partner. Without hesitation, I quickly signed up for the Blue Shield California PPO plan. I felt like a new woman. Watch out world!

I thought this would solve all my problems. It did not.

No comments:

Post a Comment